Feature Faculty, Justin Ediger

Back to Article
Back to Article

Feature Faculty, Justin Ediger

Justin Ediger talking during  Music in our schools week.

Justin Ediger talking during Music in our schools week.

“I just like spending time with young people and sharing my love of music with young people. I enjoy just seeing students start somewhere and progress and become even more and more confident and proficient in what we are trying to do, and what I enjoy the most is whenever they leave Elk City, they had fond memories of great times of being in our choir program in high school,” said Justin Ediger.

Justin Ediger teaches choir and manages the Pioneer Center. He has been teaching for 26 years and has been a teacher in the Elk City School District for 22 years.

Ediger went to college at Southwestern Oklahoma State University and earned his undergraduate degree before being accepted to the University of Oklahoma where he did graduate work. He finished up his graduate degree at SWOSU majoring in Vocal Music Education and has a Master of Music with an emphasis in Vocal.

Other than teaching music, Ediger has a few other jobs. He works for the Associated Press, serving as a Stringer for the Oklahoma City Thunder. He also became licensed in real estate recently and practices here in Elk City.

“When I was a kid I wanted to be Tony Dorset, but I’m too slow. Tony Dorset was one of my ideals. But as every little kid, you want to be a sports star, policeman, fireman or something like that. As I got older, I got more gravitated towards being a teacher and realizing my talent was in singing, and I got good scholarship money to do that, so I decided that’s probably what I needed to do,” said Ediger.

Ediger grew up and went to Beaver High School. There, he was involved in a lot of sports like football, golf and tennis. When he wasn’t busy with sports, he enjoyed going hunting and fishing with his dad, dragging main and hanging out with his friends.

He is still in the habit of staying productive and making a difference. The choir and the Pioneer Center keep him pretty busy.

“Right now I’m actually looking to get contracts with people that can come in and perform next year. I don’t really have anybody set yet, but probably a Christmas show and something in the spring. I don’t have any names yet, we have to get them under contract,” said Ediger.

For more information about upcoming shows at the Pioneer Center, visit elkcityschools.com/pioneercenter.