The Elk

Elkettes Show Strength in Tournament Moving into Homecoming Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Melissa Southard brings the ball downcourt, looking to pass to a teammate during the Hub City Tournament in Clinton.

Dapreesha Hull

Dapreesha Hull

Dapreesha Hull

Shailee Ross, Sports Editor

The Elkettes went into the Hub City tournament last week with a 7-3 record. They had some tough teams to get past on the bracket, but were determined to make it happen.

“The Hub City tournament was definitely a challenge, especially our first game. We played giant, OKC Storm, but we played together and managed to pull it together to make it to the championship. The championship game didn’t go as well as we wanted it too, but I’m still proud of my team and how we worked together to get there,” said Hope Butler.

They started out in game one of the tournament against the OKC Storm with Baylee Miller as the top scorer, earning 14 points in the game. It was a five-point margin at halftime, and the Elkettes started the third quarter strong, scoring 14 points against the Storm. They pulled through to win the game 60-61.

After their win over the Storm, they played the Clinton Red Tornadoes in game two. In the first quarter, they were ahead 11-19. They only scored seven points in the second quarter, but held the Tornadoes to four points.  Melissa Southard was the top scorer, with 13 points to end the game. The Elkettes won 33-42 and moved on to play 13-1 Elgin for the championship.

“I kinda get excited when we face a team that is highly ranked because it gives us a chance to see where we are at and what we need to work one. Elgin is a good team. I felt like we could match up with them pretty well; we just didn’t do some things well during the game to stay in there. They have a good team, coached well. We just needed to do the things we needed to do. It’s exciting to play the high ranked teams to see where you’re at, ” said Coach Ellison.

The Elktettes placed second in the tournament and moved on to play a district game against Anadarko on January 15. It didn’t go as planned they ended the game with a 15-47 loss.

The Homcoming game against 11-1 Weatherford will be the next District game. “Weatherford will be a good test for us on homecoming. They have a good, young club and are well coached. I’m hoping that we can play a little better than we did at their place and cut down the mistakes and make a few more shots. I think we will have a chance to beat them in the fourth quarter,” Said Coach Ellison.

The Elkettes tip off against Weatherford at 6:30 on January 18 at the Pioneer Center gym.