Melissa Southard Signs With OBU

Shailee Ross, Sports Editor

Wednesday, February 9, Melissa Southard signed to play basketball for Oklahoma Baptist University. She is undecided in her major, but is considering business and psychology.

Melissa started playing basketball in third grade and began playing for Elk City her seventh-grade year. She continued playing through high school and plans to continue to play through college.

“My favorite basketball memory is going undefeated with my ninth-grade team of only five players and being offered the opportunity to play college basketball at OBU,” said Melissa.

Many of her teammates have played together since grade school and have developed relationships on and off the court.

“Honestly I couldn’t be more happy or proud of Moe. She has accomplished so much this year and going to play basketball in college has been one of her dreams ever since she could even start dribbling a basketball. Moe is so talented and OBU is lucky to have her. Im definitely gonna miss playing basketball with her since we have been playing basketball with each other since 3rd grade,” said Hope Butler.

Melissa’s influence in basketball began before she began playing. ” I’ve had several key people who have influenced and encouraged me throughout my career. The biggest one would be my Dad,” said Melissa.