• August 8Basketball in Woodward today, JV @ 4:30 p.m. and Varsity @ 6:30 p.m. GO ELKS!

Student News Site Receives Grant

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student News Site Receives Grant

Brooklyn Hargis, Shaillee Ross, Steve Valadez, Shaynae Smith, Isaac McCalip, Lana Hindbaugh and Crishawn Thompson are the first Elk Chronicle Team for the 2018-2019 school year.

Shailee Ross, Sports Editor

High School students have published a new website this year where readers can find student-created content.

The site launched at the beginning of the school year. The Elk Chronicle is used to update students, staff, family and community about the happenings at Elk City High School. It includes sports schedules and rosters along with events. Readers can find news, academics, features, sports, student voice and photography categories. On the home page, there is a showcase with the most recent stories and events.

Contributors to the page include a team of staff writers, editors and photographers from yearbook and media classes working together to keep the Elk Chronicle updated and organized. The most important part of the website is the work that the team puts in to inform and entertain everyone who uses the site.

“I feel like the website is a great place for parents and students to find information on whatever is going on in the school; whether it’s sports, clubs, or any other school activities,” said Sports Writer, Steve Valdez.

At the beginning of last school year, Mrs. Latia Murray applied for a grant through Oklahoma Scholastic Media to start an online, student publication. The media program was awarded the grant and received $3,500 to begin the publication. She attended a grant workshop at OU over the summer to learn more about the planning and implementation of the website.

More information about the grant can be found at http://www.osm-oipa.org/osmi-grants/

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student News Site Receives Grant”

1. Melody Swearingen on December 5th, 2018 10:04 am

Can anyone submit pictures for this paper?

2. adviser on December 7th, 2018 8:08 am

Yes, feel free to submit pictures and information to [email protected].

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Features

Veterans Salute

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Features

FFA Takes on National Convention

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Features

Showing Off

• News

Christmas Break

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Photography

Photo of The Week: November 12-19

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Features

Veterans Salute

• News

FCA Speaker Talks About Students’ Walk

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Sports

Elkettes “Ready to Compete”

• Student News Site Receives Grant

Academics

Seeing First Hand

• News

Students Get to Work

Student News Site Receives Grant